Personally, I think I agree somewhat with what Andrews is presenting. Although, I do not feel that many people are presenting a false persona of themselves on social media, I think it is unfair for future employers to judge someone completely on their social media profiles. I know at the place that I used to work at they would search for someone on Facebook upon receiving their application, even before meeting them in person. I think even if people are not trying to behave differently on social media, they still do. Using social media is all about putting on a presentation for friends/viewers. For example, I like to think that I am a lot funnier than I really am based on what I choose to post on social media.
I also believe that looking at people's photos on Facebook is hard to judge people on because it is only part of their story. I know that for many people they don't have many photos taken on any normal day during their normal routine, it's mostly of special events or going out with friends, things like that. However, I can also see how in extreme cases, based on what people are posting, an employer may have good evidence to why they think hiring a certain employee would be a bad liability.
So, although I believe in what Andrews is saying, in regards to having a "Bill of Rights" I think that is extreme and I am not sure if that would be a beneficial to anyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment